Monday, September 24, 2007

For some reason I already feel like our time here in Florence is coming to an end. It's already been nearly three weeks, although it seems like we just landed yesterday. There is still so much more to see and learn and I unfortunately don't have plans to do it. I feel guilty about it, but it also commits me to coming back to europe many more times. This past weekend we rented a moped and drove all around the moutains and vineyards outside of Florence. It was amazingly beautiful and I learned so much about italy and the lifestyles of the people here. However, we weren't even 40 miles away from the city the whole time. It astonishes me how much is out there that I have not seen and experienced. It seems impossible to do it all. This coming weekend we are traveling to Pisa and Lucca on a class field trip, and then we have another field trip next weekend, but the weekend after that we are hopefully traveling, and I think right now it's to Brussels. I don't know much about Brussels, but I don't think it can be too bad. I think it's the capital of the European Union. It should be fun, but also expensive. Money has been an issue, especially with the recent devaluation of the dollar. I just read the other night that the canadian looney is worth 99.991 of the american dollar. I couldn't believe it. What has this nation come to??

My classes have been entirely different from every class I've taken at northeastern, which, with the exception of beginning french, have been through the college of engineering. I am finding myself very overwhelmed with my photography classes. I am taking literally hundreds of pictures a week, both digital and film, and my mind is being overloaded. I have already learned a lot in color photo, although I've only been to two classes. I have the feeling that my art history classes are going to leave me trodden into the cobblestones come test time, but we'll see. I've been trying to read and stay ahead but I've been leading a fairly busy lifestyle. It takes me awhile to take pictures, which I do everyday, and we have also been having dinner with different groups of people nearly every night during the week. It is mainly a social thing to do instead of partying. It's pretty lame usually. There aren't a lot of guys for me to hang out with here though. Anyway... I am not sure what to do with my life, and I think it is starting to show.

No comments: